To clear a media jam
Media jams might result in loose toner on the page. If you get any toner on your clothes, wash
them in cold water. Hot water will permanently set the toner into the fabric. If you get any toner
on your hands, wash them in cold water.
Do not use a sharp object, such as a pencil or scissors, to remove jammed media.
Media jams occur in the printer
When clearing jams, including jams in the output bin, always push the print-cartridge-door
release to open the top cover, and remove the print cartridge. Keep the top cover open and
the cartridge out until the jam has been cleared. Opening the top cover and removing the print
cartridge relieves tension on the printer rollers, which makes removing jammed pages easier.
1. Push the print-cartridge-door release and open the top cover.
2. Grasp the handle of the print cartridge. Remove the print cartridge, and set it aside.
To prevent damage to the print cartridge, do not expose it to light any longer than necessary.
Place the print cartridge in a paper bag or other opaque container until you can place it back in
3. With both hands, grasp the side of the media that is most visible (this includes the
middle), and carefully pull it free from the device.
4. When you have removed the jammed media, replace the print cartridge, and close the top
5. After clearing the media jam, you might need to turn the printer off, and then turn it on
When you add new media, remove all of the media from the input tray, straighten the stack
after adding the new media, and then place the stack in the tray.
Chapter 8 Troubleshooting